Thursday, January 28, 2016

MeetUp Mishap III: Bollywood Dance Club **NOT A MISHAP

Omg guys, maybe third time's the charm.

Have you ever seen Bend It Like Beckham, Slumdog Millionaire, or The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel? There are dance scenes in all those movies that is called Bollywood Dancing. Its like Zumba and hip hop but with Indian, and Bhangra persuasion. So it's a fun time. I have always been a fan of watching those dances and have always wanted to try it. It looks so fun and guess what, it is! (Another secret reason I've wanted to try it is because I get 5-stars on the Just Dance Panjabi MC song on the game and wanted to know if I was as good in real life...lol)

A couple weeks ago I saw that there was a Bollywood MeetUp in my area so I joined the group. However, I was very hesitant after the Zumba incident to go to another dance class. I RSVP'd for one a couple weeks ago but it was on a Sunday morning and I uhhh was not in any shape to attend, thank you vodka, whiskey, and tequila. So I finally went to one this past Tuesday.

When I pulled up the dance studio was black and it was in an area that I was not familiar with, so in my head I was thinking "great here we go again." I even texted my friend and told her to send help if she doesn't hear from me after an hour and a half, and sent her my pin-lol safety first. So I sat in my car for about seven minutes, and they dragged. Finally about ten minutes before the class was to start people started showing up and I think the instructor parked next to me. I waited for her to go in, and apparently the dance studio is closed during the day, which explains the darkness. So I got out of my car and went in...

This time I was greeted very nicely and warmly by the instructor. She came right up to me, shook my hand, and gave me the low-down. She also had a British accent which I thought was fantastic. I paid for the class then went to the floor. Again I was the only white girl for a little bit, but this time I didn't feel judged and out of place. I also adore Indian women, I can't explain it. They're always so happy and cracking jokes, they just love life and it radiates off of them. I hope after I go to a couple more classes I find an Indian mother to take me in and feed me once a week. Is that weird? So more women keep coming in, and it was a packed dance floor! It was so fun.

I literally had the time of my life. I didn't know a single song, but they were all fast tempo, and super fun to move to. I felt like an Indian hip-hop princess, aka Jasmine from Aladdin, but when Jafar captures her and she becomes "sexy Jasmine". That's how I felt and I loved it.


The music was awesome, the crowd was great, the dancing was actual routines that made sense, were easy to follow and went with the music, and I cant wait to go again. This was most definitely not a mishap. Sorry to disappoint.

Next up: MeetUp for girls in their 20s and 30s at a dog park...oh boy!

No comments:

Post a Comment