Friday, March 14, 2014

Ear candy for working out

Yesterday I was at the gym and it is just so easy to cheat on cardio-its long, and on a treadmill or whatever cardio machine, you aren't going anywhere. So my biggest challenge is staying motivated to keep going because, let's face it, its so BORING. Especially if there aren't mirrors to see hot guys in, or if there aren't any hot guys at all (WARNING: DON'T GO TO A YMCA LOOKING FOR GYM LOVE IT'S JUST OLD MEN). So one of the best solutions is to have a great playlist. I usually will listen to the newest music that I've downloaded, but yesterday I was just sick of listening to the same songs that i hear all the time, so mixing it up with help from my friend "Shuffle" was necessary. And this is what I found:

Best songs to run to:
Let Go-Frou Frou
Feel So Close-Calvin Harrus
Cure For the Itch-Linkin Park
My Favorite Accident-Motion City Soundtrack
Tell Me Baby-RHCP
The District Sleeps Alone-Postal Service
Left My Baby For You-Blake Lewis
We Found Love-Rihanna
Call On Me-Eric Pryds
Million Voices-Otto Knows
--if you don't mind someone yelling at you, consider listening to Linkin Park's Hybrid Theory in its entirety--SO GOOD

But those should get you started, the first two are "feel good" like working towards a change and getting rid of the bull shit. Cure For the Itch is only instrumental, which if I'm being totally honest here, I like music for the music- lyrics don't really do it for me (most of the time I can't hear them anyways). My Favorite Accident is a throw back to the emo/pop rock days of high school angst and will help you run through a whole lap before you notice it happened. Anything by RHCP works really, Tell Me Baby is just what came on for me-it will make you want to run along to the beat and is just a music orgasm all around. Postal Service is a personal fave, I don't know what it is but they're music makes me feel things. One time I ran 5 miles with just 2 songs of theirs on repeat..just sayin. The final 4 are just really fun songs, you will be motivated to finish your run, and if you start dancing on the treadmill I would not be surprised (I've done it!). The Blake Lewis song also literally has lyrics that go "I wanna run, run, run, run, run, run, run it again.." so if that doesn't help you on your trek I don't know what will...

So after you've made it through cardio, its time to LIFT...
or in my case pretend I know what I'm doing and just look tough while staring at all the HOT GUYS. (Note: the author no longer goes to a YMCA and now goes to Bally's where there is a much better younger-male presence for viewing ;) )

But I do have 5 main songs I like to do post-cardio workouts to:
I like to squat to Digital Get Down by N'Sync, haha, it's on point, trust me.
Pop That-French Montana for anything with arms, specifically rows and lat pull downs (THIS IS ALSO A GREAT SONG TO RUN TO)
Stereo Hands-Edward Maya and Wocka mashup good for making planks less torturous
Let It Be -Blackmill ft Veela for abs

I've also been into Lorde and Sara and Tegan lately, and their pandora stations actually aren't awful for working out to-sometimes the calm, alternative, indie stuff works in mysterious ways-you'd be surprised.

The moral of the story is: find music that will motivate you to finish that workout! don't cut yourself short because you get bored of it, be done when you're done-it's called WORKING OUT-you need to work at it...so why not have some help along the way, right?







No comments:

Post a Comment