Monday, March 3, 2014

Grad School: if only I knew what I was getting into

So I didn't really plan out my grad school adventure very well, I just kind of decided to do it. I wasn't thrilled with my job; working with kids was never in my epic plan and I wanted more out of life than a cold every week and listening to tattle-tailers, and there was no room for upward mobility. So I asked for my parents opinion and they said to do it and so my decision was made. I knew I wanted to put my bachelors in history to work so I searched for history programs, and I found something interesting: MSIS/MA His- masters of science in information science and a masters of history- a dual program. So that was that. Now I'm doing MSIS concentrating in Archives and I can actually see myself doing this.
(But hey that changes every other day see: why am doing this post)

Ok so after all of the stress of applying, taking and bombing the GREs, and finally getting accepted I never thought to ask someone what grad school was actually like. Boy was I in for a big surprise...

Even the most trivial things were complicated. Like the building codes to where classes are were like in a foreign language and took me so long to figure out, or even where to get my ID (I waited a whole month before pursuing that task) needless to say, I got lost a lot. I still don't know where the union is, or how the print system works (anybody from UAlb know if we get a print quota?). 

Aside from all the navigational issues, grad school just totally changed my world and I wish I was a little more prepared for what was coming to me. Instead I had about 3 major mental breakdowns and cried for 2 months straight (not my brightest moments).So the short of this is, if someone was to ask me for prep on grad school this is what I would tell them...

1. Say goodbye to your social life 
2. You will need to do some homework 7 days a week just to keep up
3. You will read more in 1 semester of grad school than you probably did in all 4 years of undergrad (you actually have to try to read every page, cover to cover)
Those are a few of my required books from just 2 classes (these are just the ones I couldn't sell back) 

4. Socializing is not as nearly as fun or easy as it was in undergrad: you'll maybe make 3-5 friends and only after the 2nd semester
5. Friday nights are for sleeping, not for drinking
6. Happy Hour is a long lost memory (most classes are in the evenings) 
7. Don't even try to have a boyfriend 
8. Nobody outside of grad school will understand 
9. Crying yourself to sleep becomes a habit 
10. You'll feel very alone, confused, and conflicted, and question if it's even worth it (but it is)

Things I wish someone told me after the first semester:

IT GETS BETTER!! Chin up buttercup, suck it up.
You'll see the same people in your program and you'll have to eventually say hi; 
you aren't alone, there's a whole class with you; 
yeah the work sucks but you are literally becoming a master at something;
you need to volunteer ASAP somewhere related to your masters; 
you will find the time for your best girlfriends, even if it's once every 3 months; 
change is good;
keep it up 

So far I'm surviving, but man it's a jungle out there

On the bright side, I actually enjoy my classes. I like being in school. Yes, there are lectures and boring professors but there is so much hands on work you can actually conceptually learn. And particiation is key to having good, fun, worthwhile classes. The best class I've had this semester was actually one where my group was giving a presentation and we got the class involved and we used humor and candy-so simple yet so successful...

Just some of my thoughts, grad school is a pain in the butt but apparently it will be worth it in the end. We shall see...

PS concentrate on the little victories, like getting a thank you from your superiors or a good job on an assignment, or even as simple as finding the perfect nail polish...those will get you through


No comments:

Post a Comment